Thursday, August 28, 2014

Pittsburgh Pirates at a Crossroads

Ladies and Gents I am here with the Pittsburgh Pirates GM Phillies Suck. What brings us here today is how his team is performing or lack there of. After a monster run that ended with a Playoff Berth last season all eyes were on Pittsburgh to take that next step and become a mainstay. What has happened has been the polar opposite and we intend to find out why and what we can expect for the rest of the season and seasons to come.





Lets just address the Elephant in the room. At 24-56 your boys are currently playing .300 ball. A far cry from last year and the expectations coming into the season. I know its easier said than done, but what happened? 


The better question is what hasn't happened? Save for Tanak Murakami and Josh Bell my entire team has under performed greatly. Jay Bruce seems to have forgotten he is supposed to get hits and not be an Adam Dunn clone. Prince Fielder has disappointed majorly since his arrival. And my pitching staff is about as effective as it would be if they didn't exist at all. My bullpen which had previously been an enormous strength for me has gone by the waste side. In the rotation I want to especially point out Jameson Taillon who after a solid start to his career has been simply pathetic this year. Also, Grant Dayton has failed to live up to his free agent contract. 


Now, with the current level of play are you cashing in your chips so to speak and selling players off? We saw earlier in the season you traded Alex Cobb after less than a season to the Mets along with Closer David Robertson. Are you worried what the message to fans will be as well?


I would say yes I am selling players off. Where that could get clouded though is that some people think that means I am giving them away which isn't the case. They attempt to pick up guys for pennies on the dollar so to speak which just wastes both of our time. And no I am not to worried about the message things like the Cobb trade sends because well with that trade in particular we got back useful elements for our team now and in the future. I think the fans realize that we aren't going anywhere good this year and know that this is the best course of action for the organization long term.


Whats your gameplan to get the Pirates back to the playoffs and what kind of outlook do you see for the team you have now?

My plan now is to get some depth back in the farm system and go from there. After how bad this season has been I am not exactly sure yet what strategy I want to take to get the team back to the promise land. I know that might not be exactly what fans want to hear but it is the honest truth.


Now, you know this day in age everyone is all about Sabermetrics and UZR etc. Do you think you can contribute some of you recent performance to having players playing in positions they aren't accustomed or also some new guys who came over not being maximized. Some that stick out are Austin at 3B and MacMahon at 1B when the latter has GG written all over him at the hot corner. There also Murakami out of his element at SS or Cano who has become a statue at 2B. Defense is sometimes underrated but what do you think?

When it comes to the fancy stats as I refer to them I am more old fashioned then most in that regard. I do try and keep an eye on some of that stuff but I really don't put nearly as much stock and time into as most do. Regarding McMahon not playing 3B. Austin is limited defensively and really isn't that effective anywhere but having his bat in the lineup is imperative for us. With having Fielder on the team as well the DH slot is occupied which means he has to play the field. While McMahon might not be gg worthy at first he is still effective. The same argument for McMahon can be said for Murakami. With Cano, I don't have another MLB 2B right now I am kind of stuck with him.


Now, give the fans a glimpse into the day and life of Phillies Suck. How are they to perceive you? What is to make them think you are the man with a plan to get their beloved Pirates to the promise land?

Fans should perceive me as someone that really wants to win and takes it hard when we struggle. I have had many sleepless nights trying to figure out what has gone wrong and continues to go wrong this season. In the end, I want nothing more then to bring a World Series to Pittsburgh. 


Last Question. If you had the chance to do it all over again, by that I mean going for it all last year and this year, would you do it again?


If I could do it all again I think I would go for it all last year and at the start this year. While I will never be able to compete financially with teams like the Yankees or Dodgers, there was a window that opened for us last year and I have learned that those don't come by to often and when they do you have to seize them otherwise you will probably end up regretting it.


Well thank you for taking the time to sit down with Donnie "The Maddog" Baseball, it was a pleasure. Hopefully there are brighter days ahead for the Buccos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment